Shelly Woertink, LMSW, CTS, CTC
Licensed Masters Clinical Social Worker
Certified Trauma and Loss Specialist
Certified Trauma and Loss Consultant
Theraplay Therapist (Level 1 practicum student)
Children ages 0 to 17
- Theraplay, Play Therapy, Art Therapy, EMDR, CBT
- Developmental/Complex Trauma, PTSD, adoption, attachment, emotional dysregulation, anxiety (OCD), children experiencing parents' divorce process and post-divorce issues, selective mutism, depression
- Dual Bachelors Degree, Calvin College 1993
- MSW, Grand Valley State University 2001
- Post Graduate MSW Fellowship — Advanced Clinical Training Program, Yale University School of Medicine, Child Study Center, 2002
- Certified Trauma and Loss Specialist, The National Institute for Trauma and Loss in Children, 2004
- EMDR — EMDR Institute, Ohio 2005
- Certified Trauma and Loss Specialist, The National Institute for Trauma and Loss in Children, 2008
- Trauma Debriefing — The National Institute for Trauma and Loss in Children, Detroit, 2008
- Theraplay 1 Certification pending (Practicum student), Theraplay Institute, 2015
- Extensive experience and training evaluating and providing treatment to children and families with complex clinical presentations (i.e., surgery in infancy, prematurity, other hospitalizations during pre-verbal stage of development).
- Extensive training and experience working with adopted children with early trauma history, impaired regulation and attachment, combined with extreme fear/anxiety/terror.
- Trauma debriefing/crisis intervention/consultation
- Professional Member — The National Institute for Trauma and Loss in Children
- Professional Member — The Theraplay Institute
- Professional Member — NASW
- EMDR Institute
Children are not "little adults." A child's development is dependant on numerous variables. Development is based on mastery of life stages. If there are interruptions to these life stages children will show signs that something is wrong.
Most often children are not able to verbally express what is causing stress or upset. Often there will be changes in behavior or mood. I enjoy putting the pieces of the puzzle together to bring understanding to what is needed to help a child heal from the inside out.
I work with children who have experienced: medical surgeries in infancy, severe burn victims, separation due to adoption, death or loss of a parent, divorce, children who have not experienced clear boundaries and structure but have experienced severe yelling, fighting and discord.
All of these experiences are stored in our body. Our body holds experiences of fear and terror, creating significant regulation problems for children. I enjoy putting the pieces of the puzzle together to help bring understanding and teach skills to parents that will assist in improving the child's overall functioning and improve quality of life for the child and the family.
Relevant Services Provided
- Our office has a trained therapy dog in attendance daily.
- Adoption support group for parents of children seen at the clinic.
- Adoption support group for biological children who have adopted siblings.
950 N. 10th Street, Suite 200