George Lockwood, Ph.D.
Adults, women, men, couples, gays/lesbians, seniors, police.
Individual therapy, couples therapy.
ACA/Codependency, Adoption, Anger, Addictions (substance abuse and non-chemical), Anxiety, Career Issues, Compulsive Behaviors, Depression, Dissociation, Domestic Violence, Eating Disorders, Grief, Infertility, Medical Stress/Chronic Disease, Pain Management, Phobias, Sexual Dysfunction, Sexual/Physical Abuse, Music Psychology, Stepfamily concerns, Trauma, TMJ, Shyness.
- Post-Doctorate Fellow, Center for Cognitive Therapy, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 1981-1982
- Ph.D., Clinical Psychology, United States International University, San Diego, CA, 1981
- MA, Psychology, United States International University, San Diego, CA, 1978
- BS in Chemistry, St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY, 1975
In professional practice since 1984.
Regarding brief treatment: I have extensive training and experience in the use of Cognitive Therapy (applicable for a wide range of problems, including anxiety and depression), a short-term, problem-focused approach which can produce rapid symptomatic improvement, provide a clear explanation of your emotional difficulties, increase self-control and prevent future shifts into painful mood states. Cognitive Therapy's effectiveness is well supported by a large body of research.
Regarding longer-term problems: I have extensive training and experience in Schema Therapy, developed specifically for producing deep and lasting change in chronic or lifelong difficulties. These difficulties include feelings of inadequacy, loneliness, strong dependency on others, problems, choosing appropriate partners, and being out of touch with one's feelings.
My style is collaborative, focused, systematic, warm and flexible. My interest is to help you make the changes you want in the most effective, rapid, safe and comfortable way possible.
I will often combine Cognitive Therapy and Schema Therapy (along with other approaches) when we agree this will help you speed or deepen the changes you want to make.
- Founding Fellow, Academy of Cognitive Therapy
- Member, American Psychological Association
Relevant Titles or Positions Held
- Fellow, Center for Cognitive Therapy, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Assistant Clinical Professor, University of California, San Francisco, 1995-2000
- Consultant, Palo Alto V.A. Medical Center. Provided clinical consultation for an NIMH-funded outcome study on depression, 1985
- Research Psychologist, Palo Alto V.A. Medical Center. Provided cognitive-behavioral therapy of depression as part of an NIMH-funded outcome study, 1982-1984
Articles by George Lockwood, Ph.D.
471 W. South Street
Kalamazoo, MI 49008
Office hours: by appointment
Other Sites to Visit
For additional links and resources on Schema Therapy and cognitive therapy, see www.schematherapy.com.